Saturday, April 9, 2011

A New Blogger in Town

Hello guys,

       I've always been around blogs and bloggers, but never thought of ever making one. I'm a musician from Kuwait who live in the United States to study and hopefully stay, because the future I'm pursuing is kind of disrespected in the Arab world. I'm studying Engl-1A this quarter and part of this class I have to create this blog. You win mom!! (she is the most addicted blogger I know).

       My major is Music, I play the guitar. 8 years ago, I was lost. I didn't know what the future held for me, and wasn't that good in school. I did alright most of my school years until the cursed last year, which I flunked 2 times. It wasn't because I neglected school or anything, but it was because of the material they teach us in our subjects. It was totally different than the 11th year.

        In my third year repeating the 12th year, I started smoking in school which was against the rules. One of the teachers caught me smoking once and decided to make me a model in front of the other young students. So he decided to expel me for a week. I had a test that week so I got angry (oops, Anger Management!!) and punched that teacher in the face. I was sent to the dean afterward and then they decided to expel me from Kuwait's schools.

       I didn't know what to do. I joined the army for a month then decided to runaway (lol!) I was in the army facility where they train us when I got the idea that this isn't the future for me. So I decided to climb the wall to FREEDOM!! It was hilarious. Barbed wires everywhere, guards. When I finally made it across the wall I went to a cafe which was open in 3 am. and called a cab to get me home.

       After that I joined a company where my uncle used to be head of the Management Information Systems office. I joined in as a computer administrator since I've been around computers all my life. I did alright until I started listening to rock n' roll and Metal. Then I decided to get me a guitar and started learning. I learned so fast that my father told me to go study Music. Now that's an idea, why didn't I think of that? I'll tell you why, because of the environment I'm living in. Nobody knows anything about Music. some people think that Music is forbidden too!! I used to be around the musical bands in school all my educational years. I remember going on the piano in school and tell the teacher to teach me to play something while the other students making fun and shouting in the back. My culture never took Music seriously.

       I then enrolled in an internet based high school from America and had to do a year and a half to get my high school diploma. I finished it and enrolled in the college I'm in now. I found out that Music is a whole subject that we are missing in Kuwait. History, Theory, and a different language all together.

       And this is it, My life up till now...

5 comments:

  1. woah! heavy story man. if you wanna kick out the jams sometime i play drums. cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing story. I bet you have way more to say! It's so hard to comprehend the fact that while music in the United States is one of the most influential things our culture has, there are other nations that forbid it! Way to follow your gut and do what you think is best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that was an interesting and funny story. Its great that you found your passion and you didn't let anybody bring you down for it. Good luck with that music thing it might take you far..

    ReplyDelete